Monday, December 3, 2007

FEAR

“Darkness is a mild manifestation of fear. I have lived in fear and got to know it so well, that, a black cat’s purr, the spider on the cobweb, a dark shadow, donot perturb me. They are, on the other hand my friends.

Streaks of light on summer mornings, have tried luring me out into the other world. But I find solace here. In the dark, when silence is echoed onto the giant pillars by the trillion thoughts that scream into my mind, I rarely bat an eyelid. Thoughts rushing in and out collide, confer and pacify me – I have nothing to fear.

Silence, that exists as a positive entity and not just a mere negation of unwanted sounds comforts me. It imparts two, three or even more senses to the inanimate objects that surround me. I am, never alone. I have nothing to fear.

The mirror is my best friend. The mahogany bed passes the tired look; the iron chest smiles on like the aged gladiator with paternal pride; the curtains hold still to hold back even the gentlest of breezes in their sinews. Their veins dilate, the timbre glow narrates this tremendous course of events that occur in stillness.

Silence, so holy and delicate, that even Death would knock twice before he wishes to enter and ruin the fragile equilibrium that exists. He would probably leave us alone. (the male personification was unnecessary but…..I have nothing to fear.)

I have wanted to keep things like this. The gradual trickle of sand, that single drop onto the tinkling crystal would in turn set in motion an entire cacophony, orchestrating themselves to a fever pitch and then, climaxing in an agonizing crescendo. But, I have nothing to fear in darkness, I have nothing to fear in silence.

It was broken by his silky voice….”

No comments: